Friday, April 20, 2012

Is there a sunset every day?

IMG_2377

I assume the answer is yes but I ask the question rhetorically. It’s a shame how few of them we ever stop and see. The flip side of this is that no doubt it’s why we find them special because it is rare to catch one in our busy lives.
Arriving at the ‘corner’ was uneventful. It’s just a destination and that’s all. It’s a bit depressing to think… err, this is it? but realistically, it is everything it could be. Trips are invariably about the journey, not so much the destination. The destination serves as an achievement, only when you look back on it in retrospect. Even only a few hours after doing this trip, I feel much happier looking back as opposed to actually driving each on of those gruelling kays.

I stopped a bit earlier this evening, about 7 fingers opposed to 5 between the sun and the horizon.
It’s funny because that method sounds so primitive – but it works a treat. If you relied on time, it would only work on flat ground with no mountains whereas if you use the hand method, you get the same amount of time to setup, have dinner and wash up, regardless of the terrain.

So all going to plan my post below should be the GPS coordinates of Cameron Corner. I’m only assuming it’s worked, as by the time this is uploaded, I should be in Broken Hill, leeching McDonalds Wi-Fi hopefully from the car park. Today was another good day, with lots of KM covered. My estimation from looking at the map is 600KM, 550 of which was dirt/rock/sand KM. The dirt is slow going, averaging 70KPH. The road between Tibooburra and Broken Hill is about 75% tar… come onnnnn! spring for the other little bit and the job is done!

I love starting off early in the morning – like even before the sun has risen. The first 100KM of the day is so easy, there’s never anyone on the road, you’re lights cover good distance., I could get 100KM done without blinking. It’s so fresh, everything is coming alive, I have so much energy in the mornings.DSC00017DSC00018
Just to clarify, as I’d hate to mislead anyone, that photo of the gate, is coming back into NSW from SA after having visited Cameron Corner.

Looking back, what’s wrong with the car:
The inverter detached way before the trip, I didn’t have time to re-fix it, so It’s been disconnected. I’ve survived without it, the only thing that needs 240v to charge is the still camera battery. Even the video cameras charge via USB.
- We need to research and procure a mosquito tent
- The ‘Chinese Laundry’ clothes line works, but is invariably in the way. Some kind of fixed length with attachment points will be grand.
-I’ve been struggling to control the temperature at night time. It’s too hot when I go to bed, but too cold just before dawn. I think this is due to me sweating in my sleeping bag, virtually unzipping it all, then waking up cold and in that state, failing to reassemble it. I’ve put the insulated window coverings on tonight, and will actually set the bed up with the doona and sheet and see if this makes a difference.

What’s right with it: Everything else. Everything has worked perfectly. Everything from the navigation system, dual batteries, fridge, chopping board, sink, water supply, pillows are just sublime. everything really does just work how it’s meant to. The car hasn’t used a drop of oil or water.

I’ve got to start running the car out of fuel now as it can only be shipped with like less than 10% or some rubbish like that. I heard some kind of algae can grow in the tank, so I hope it doesn’t happen while the tanks are pretty much empty.

Well that’s about enough from me for tonight. After all, there is still more than 1200KM till I’m home.
This is one huge country – don’t you kids forget that!

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of the sun finger gauge...very clever!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.