Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Stunning day

Today is a stunning day on many accounts.
I've seen maybe three brown snakes on the road, but by the time I get the camera out, they are long gone. Wow they can move fast. I'd say the can cross one lane of a road in one second.

Leaving Brewarranal today was bittersweet. I feel sorry for the children. The adults have their own lives, but the children are just starting theirs. The highlight of this one boys day was getting piggybacked for all of 10M. He made me promise yesterday that if I came back today that I would pay him that. As I was driving out, I counted roughly 20 people with nothing to do.
I dropped the tyre pressures when I hit the dirt, and I'm glad I did. Two minutes down the road, it was like driving on a beach. A brilliant red beach nonetheless. It's tempting to go faster, but on the lower pressures and varied road surfaces, it's easier just to stay in fourth gear which puts you at about 70kph. The road is long, but it's still beautiful and varied. Over every hill and around every corner is something new. From ocre dunes to billabongs teaming with birdlife.

My camp for tonight is just breathtaking. There is no sound whatsoever other than the occasional fly. I've been camped stopped for what has felt like an hour, and no one has gone past. In fact, since I hit the dirt some 200KM ago, I would have only passed 10 cars. The isolation is brilliant. There is something wholesome about actually being on your own, and these days that is few and far between.

The car is running like a dream. Everything is still intact, still have so much fuel which is grand. The fuel guage seems to be in direct relation to my spirits.
I had three steak skewers for dinner tonight. The ones were there is capsicum, onion, pineapple... mmmm all that good stuff. It's pretty much dark now so I should post this before I can't see any more. I do want to boil some water for a cup of tea a relax and a read.

With any luck, you'll be able to click the link below and it will show you on Google Maps my location. It should be the same as the spot location, but sometimes a straight Google Map is easier to read. I'm writing this with the laptop on the bonnet. My next post may be another photo from today if it uploads, but while on the sat phone, I try not to push the upload limits as it won't resume if it fails (like 50% of the time)

PS. Correction, one car just went past after all this time.

Position: 12-04-18 18:09:13 +1000 +0000
http://maps.google.com/maps?&ll=-29.70433,143.5949&q=-29.70433,143.5949&z=16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.