Friday, January 6, 2012

Good vibrations

Sorry, it's been a while since posting. In fact, a lot has been going on over Christmas. A deal of my time was spent cleaning up the garage. It was quite a mess, dark and not conducive to any constructive work.
Its now wired with 6 power outlets and two fluorescent globes.
I put all this work (and I mean days of cleaning and wiring) by taking the opportunity to get out of the sun and use my new grease gun. I made the mistake of over greasing the drive shafts. I figured that you put grease in until you see it push dirty grease out. But this is incorrect for greasing the splines as it causes the shaft to bind up with a kind of hydrolock scenario. I think i relieved the problem by removing the grease nipples and going for a long undulating drive which forces the excess grease back out.
We has noticed a vibration has developed... I thought the grease had unbalanced the drive shaft as it had happens just after this and at around 90kph but doesn't go away even after 120+. Well with our recent hot weather a big slab of tar had melted to one of the front wheels. With this removed and the back rims cleared of mud, the problem seems to have gone away!

A big shout out to goes to Jim! Today, driving down the coast we were followed ever-so-paitently by a motorist, all the way from Braidwood. We thought its just because we were setting a nice relaxed pace, but in fact Jim had recognised our camper from this very blog. We were so thrilled that:
A) people actually read our blog
B) that our car was recognisable
C) that someone took the time to stop us and say hello.

It was the most fantastic feeling and hopefully is an indication of good things to come. I regret not taking a photo with Jim by our car, by the water but we were in a rush to surprise my mum for her late birthday.
We look forward to your comments Jim and apologise for what would have been a hopelessly slow trip for you following our old truck through the mountains.

A lovely saying I heard recently is that "love travels on a gravel road"

I apply three schools of thought to this
1) obviously relationships, like gravel roads mean you shouldn't expect a smooth ride
2) we travel on gravel roads... as a couple
3) I love travels on gravel roads full stop.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Graeme, it was great seeing your camper, obviously in great nick, looks good and I am envious. It will be a fabulous trip and with the thorough preparation going into the camper should be minimal problems. Just a thought - something I found useful in my trip to St Petersburg last year is to have a translator ap on the iPad. You can type in English and it comes up in Russian. Cheers, Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim
      Thanks so much for your kind words and advice. I've recently got an iPhone and have played with a similar app - worked a treat.
      Thank you again, and was a pleasure to see you on the road.

      Delete

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.