Saturday, September 10, 2011

Handbrake adjustment

Trimcast Space Case

Today I adjusted the handbrake on the camper. It’s not that it’s a difficult job, it’s just time consuming when you have to do it twice. I adjusted each side, but forgot to release the slack in the cable first. I also installed the third roof rack and mounted the hi-lift jack. You can see it all in the video below. I may end up moving the first rail forward a bit, but it will depend on the position of the spare wheel. Because today was the first time I’ve had the wheels off the car, it’s dawned on me quite how heavy they are. Getting one onto, or off the roof rack is going to be an epic feat. I’m not sure if a thinner ‘Telecom tyre’ on a split rim will weigh less than the 275 sunraiser. Driving with the roof rack and hi-lift today was a new experience. I’m not sure if it was just really windy today, but I seemed to be buffeted more than usual. This will probably be much worse with the addition of one of these weatherproof boxes for all the tools, spares, oils and recovery gear on the roof. But the way I see it, our dry and clean internal space is too precious to fill it with this gear, it just means we need to be careful with cornering and side slopes. I plan on buying a case that is narrow enough to fit on the floor of the car for shipping. I think grey will be the colour choice, with the orange maxtrax, I don’t want to look like a lego car.

This video was made after adjusting the handbrake – thank goodness I did. The panel seems to have unclipped. I just need to unbolt the back, and slide it forward into the clip – no harm done.

PIC_1006

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.