Friday, September 9, 2011

Expedition truck!

Image090

So you can see from the photos above that the rack is installed. It’s starting to look like it’s setup for the trip. It was certainly a one person job which gives me great confidence in us installing it dock side one day. To keen observers you will notice it is missing one roof bar. It would probably be fine without it strength wise, but to mount the high-lift jack on the side, I’ll need another one because the jack is too short to span the gap between the bars.

So, the little isolator is buggered… helped in small part by the delicate repair attempt of smashing it on the concrete. Oh well, a new one is en route now. I’ve hooked both the batteries together so that the auxiliary battery returns to charge (it was at 50% after the weekend running the fridge)

Capture

Spent the morning in my workshop (the cul-de-sac off Lorn road) changing transfer and gearbox oil. The transfer case oil was putrid but gearbox and front diff were brand new. I chose this location as it’s level, smooth and clean but with gutters so I can park it up against them to act as wheel chocks. It’s also conveniently opposite the oil recycling centre, so if my drain pan ran out of capacity, I could empty it without moving the car.  It was a staggeringly filthy job, pumping 5-6 litres of oil above your head. Everything is staggeringly slippery. Three gloves and two rags was nowhere near enough. I do like practicing working in the middle of no-where. I reckon it reduces the anxiety that you could feel when something needs fixing in the bush. I guess it was like changing the wheel bearing on the last trip, I had done it before down the road from home previously. More updates soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.