Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Productive afternoon

It felt like a false start when I came home at lunch time, and struggled to make any positive contribution. Everything felt rubbish, and my lack of skill was getting me down. I find great frustration in trying to create things I imagine, especially when nothing you planned seems to work, or if the quality of what you produce isn’t what you had in mind. When I returned at around 4:45 and worked for about an hour, and seemed to get much better results.

Rather than fill this blog with pictures, here is the link to the album with all the pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/twomagadan/20110809?authkey=Gv1sRgCNeX9_rD0cOdKA# I am now quite happy with the result, but I was certainly in a foul mood earlier.

It was surprisingly difficult to construct as it was difficult to start as nothing was stable until screwed. One other design… development is that I may need to mount the water filter on it’s side, there doesn’t seem enough height to fit it. It says that it ‘should’ be mounted vertically, which makes me think that it doesn’t say ‘must’ so, surely it’ll be sweet. Routing all of these very stiff hoses in the small area will be difficult. With the location of the electrical equipment now much closer to the water systems, the room for error is higher. I get the sneaking suspicion that I’m going to end up locating the inverter and fuse block into the newly made cavity near the wheel well.

I also picked up a tidy alloy bar… quite literally, it was easy to lift and carry with one hand. $200 lighter. Even with some fabrication required to mount the winch, it should work out a lot cheaper than $1000-$1500 for a new one, plus I’ll still need fabrication to fit the winch. There is a hidden opportunity here – the way the winch is currently mounted EASILY allows the cable to catch on top of the bar. By fabricating this myself, I’ll be able to position it properly. I don’t have a picture just yet, but it looks good. Still tossing up wether to paint it black as I’m not a real chrome kinda guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.