Saturday, August 13, 2011

Afternoon drive and build update

Yesterday evening, I went for a drive in the interest of getting to know the vehicle a bit more. It’s taking me a while to trust it’s capability and find it’s limitations.  I still wouldn’t be confident enough to take it half the places I took my old car, but that comes with practice.
IMG_0755
You would be forgiven for thinking this and the next picture were taken in far eastern Russia.
IMG_0759-2
It seems unrealistic to compare the characteristics of my old car vs. my new car, but it is through surprise that the observations come about.
Sometimes I have a grin from ear to ear when it crawls effortlessly over obstacles that my previous car would have been caught up on without even a hint of contact.
Other times, I find it much more rigid and long to step up short steps where I could have hopped up with ease previously. The rear wheels are further back, and even though it’s only 20cm, it leaves you thinking, um, shouldn’t my wheel be stepping over that log now?… no?… wait… there it is!
Oh, and did I mention long?! it’s quite an effort to turn around on some narrow tracks. 7 point turns are not uncommon – but even so, I’m loving it.
IMG_0768
This picture is to clarify the tiny space I’m working in. Underneath the pile of junk to the left of the picture is our set of old lounges - we need to wait a few weeks for garbage day.
IMG_0770
So, as you can see, the sink is installed, the backing board is installed which is now as rigid as I had hoped. The fridge is just resting to make sure the dimensions were OK to open the latch – seems good. The water bottles are slowly filling up with sawdust… doh!
I suspect I might do a trial fit tomorrow to figure out how I’m going to secure it, and also to take measurements for the bed side.

Oh, and an update on the starting issue. The last three cold starts I have 'glowed' it three times, and it's started without hesitation. Just tonight it started fine with just two. It may be too early to tell, but I suspect this was the problem. I do wonder how the length of glow is determined, even when super cold it's probably only 5 seconds. I'd like to see if it can be adjusted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.