Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Car cost revision

Hi Mum - You said you'd be reading, so here is a shout out!

OK, so the car I mentioned below I speculated would go for 35-40K which as mentioned is a long way out of our price range. However looking at previous auction results (I've been keeping a spreadsheet) I predict it will probably go for 20K give or take 2K. I'm certainly no car buff, but past performance is the best predictor of future performance.

It's so important that I put the money away in a term deposit because I would totally be bidding tomorrow on this car. Urghhhh the pressure!

Clarified a bit further the costs of registering the car.
$750 stamp duty
$750 comprehensive insurance
~$1000 1 year's registration (inc. 3rd party insurance)
Plus a few tanks of diesel to get it back, and a flight to Alice Springs, looking at 3K in hidden costs.

A little bit of excitement and a glimmer of hope. I just need to take a deep breath and accept that another one will come along when we are ready.... however hard  to do when something awesome is waved in front of your face. . I can't help but devise ways of juggling money to avoid the whole term deposit issue, but I must resist the temptation.

There are two things I particularly like about this one; The rear ladder and the side rails to protect the side steps and fenders. The nature of four wheel driving sees damage easily done to these areas.

We'll be making a purchase during or after October when the funds are released, so if we register in October, our 12 months of registration should have us covered while overseas without any unneeded complication of renewing registration whilst overseas.

Sorry this is a fairly boring post people, but it is a timeline of thought which in the fullness of time will be interesting reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.