Friday, April 2, 2010

Four day weekend

I've typed this blog in Microsoft word this time so that I don't have to use the shift key so much - my little fingers are really getting sore. We have a lovely four day weekend and we are going to drive to Stockton beach, just out from Newcastle to go for a tiny dry run - it's the furthest we've driven in the Pajero - which sounds crazy compared to Two-Magadan. 1000km compared to 20,000km.
It's only Friday and I've already fixed the biggest annoyance on my car so far. At precisely 3000rpm this awful rattling noise happens. It sounds like it comes from the tail shaft BUT it happens when the car is moving, or standing still, with the clutch engaged or disengaged. This perplexed me for a long time. It's the not knowing that is a bad feeling, is it a dropped valve, timing belt backlash, something clanging around in the gearbox or transfer case. Turns out it was this:

This is a unique doo-dad that is meant to reduce vibration... ironic isn't it. See the crack on the right hand side. At precisely the right rpm this vibrates and makes an awful noise. I'll try get some better pictures tomorrow.
It's now been removed and the vibration is a little better - so I might put it back on and weld it and the 80kph-90kph vibration may disappear?
Oh well. That's enough for tonight.
How about these chairs?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.