Saturday, March 6, 2010

Do I really want to do this?

I thought it would be great to record those down moments. Not that this is really one of these but it's not a super positive up... so what tha hell.

We have a map that's on our bathroom wall which provides entertainment for those precious few minutes each day. It's a world map that shows political boundaries, time zones etc. Some days I look at this map with excitement yet today I look at it with somewhat of a level head thinking 'do I really want to do this?'. It's a politically complicated and lengthy route which will take months. How about just a beach on some island somewhere? No border crossings, no foreign currencies, no languages, no need to submit trip itinerary to authorities. Why do we sometimes feel like this? Will this huge investment in time and money pay off? I hope that either getting a picture atop 'the singing dunes' in Kazakhstan or stopped at a river for lunch in the Altay region, or seeing Magadan and the coastline in the distance as we descend our last mountain range knowing we have just crossed the majority of the largest continent on earth.

A certainly level of pressure also exists. Some people would call this motivation. Firstly, I've told myself and others that I will do this - that's enough pressure. But in addition to this, at this point in our lives, feels like the only opportunity we will get. Cassie will have finished her studies, we will have the cash and the time. Without putting it off for another year, or waiting to build up holidays with another employer. Cassie will be rapidly building her career and a 3-4 month gap in it could be damaging. I know I'm only 25 now, but when I'm 35/45/55 I may not have the option any longer. I just have to - and that is pressure. Further to this, I've always wanted to. Just because I don't feel it today, I certainly would regret not taking the opportunity.

I think the way to combat these feelings is to make it easier. Easier by having the largest checklist known to man to minimise mistakes and forgotten documentation which could either leave us stranded at a border crossing, or sleeping in a concrete jail.

1 comment:

  1. "50 years from now when your looking back on your life, dont you wanna be able to say you had the guts to get in the car"
    Sam Witwicky 2007

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.