Sunday, September 16, 2012

Hans and Gisela

Our hosts, Hans and Gisela have been beyond generous. They prepared a traditional German dinner for us. It included a brilliant traditional meat dish which contained what resembled frankfurt meat, but was of much higher quality with a crispy shell - sorry I can't remember the name of it. Warm potato salad with a hint of vinegar. Huge pretzels which are apparently very everyday here. Beers come in seasons here. Hans found some upcoming Oktoberfest season beer for our arrival and was no doubt mortified when I said I don't drink. Cassie and I had the equivalent of a glass between us for the taste.
Hans also went to the butcher very early this morning to try and buy something resembling bacon. It was made to special order and may become tomorrow morning's bacon and eggs. It's this sort of generosity that we are so grateful to have received. I can only hope that we would offer this level of hospitality if guests came to stay with us.
We went into Munich today. We caught the train which was typical German excellence. Smooth as silk, fast, quiet, clean and on time. It may not surprise you but Munich was again very touristy. The photos should give you some idea. We arrived with not much in mind other than to have a look around. We did just that. Looked around, coffee break. Looked around, lunch break. Looked around, returned home. We're pretty lazy tourists it seems.
I do regret a little not doing enough research for this leg of the trip. I'm certain we'll to return with more energy and explore further this beautiful place called Europe. When it comes to energy, I'm way out of it. My 'fuel light' has been on for the last two days. Even the drive here was peppered with breaks. Neither of us have slept properly the past three nights.
Tomorrow I think we're getting a tour of the area including an urban landscape Hans designed on his computer. After lunch I think we'll make a move and camp outside of Stuttgart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.