Saturday, August 25, 2012

Couldn't sea it?!

200KM south of Aktobe which is exciting. We did 500KM today which is amazing, on brilliant roads.

We went to Aral to see the Aral sea. We'll, we couldn't see it. Like the pun? We'd heard that they were allowing it to refill, but it hasn't filled enough yet to be visible from the town.
After lunch, quite dispondant at how rough, slow and unreliable the roads have being, I crawled into the back. I was thinking OMG it's rough, imagine being in one of these fitted out as an ambulance with a broken leg. It would be relentless agony. Then, like a slap in the face I realised that this once WAS a NSW ambulance, and no doubt people had been in here with broken limbs in agony, bouncing along being shot with painkillers. Weird eh! Then I got to the realisation that it's entirely possible that someone could have died in this car. wo000ah, not everyone can say that about their car! Clearly that sort of thing doesn't worry me as I proceeded to fall asleep for maybe half an hour. I woke in a different place both mentally and physically as Cassie was humming along at 100kph on a brilliant, signposted, well funded road. Then I remembered on the map, we were due to cross into a different administrative division, like a state.

We washed hair in a river this afternoon which was a welcome treat. That, combined with having done 500KM today has lifted my spirits considerably. We might end up spending a night in Aktobe just to have a wash and stock up again.
Tonight's dinner is spaghetti with finely chopped bacon and pasta sauce.

Yep, I agree this post is a bit boring, but it was also to capture our location as I still suspect the Spot isn't working.

Position: 12-08-25 18:36:41 +0600 +0000
http://maps.google.com/maps?&ll=50.05531,59.68636&q=50.05531,59.68636&z=16
#END

1 comment:

  1. Real shame about the Aral Sea. Those rusting fishing boats really are iconic aren't they. According to my rough calculations from Google satellite, there looks to be about 14-16km of salt pans between Aral & the first vestiges of water.

    Good that things are going well again & that you even got a sleep in the back.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.