Friday, December 9, 2011

Public or not?

For the last ten minutes I've been struggling to word this post... so here goes.

So far, this blog has only been sent to family and friends. Anyone can actually read it, but it's not searchable on search engines and really only has a limited audience. As a private person, I naturally contain thoughts, views and experiences to those who need to know. I used to try and hide elements in photos and videos that could be used to identify me, such as vehicle registration, but it has proved very difficult in video.
Perhaps the motivation for this topic occurred just the other day. A retired gentleman who is a member of the 4wd club I was also a member of subscribed to one of my YouTube channels. I contacted him effectively saying 'Wow - I haven't spoken to you in a long time... I bet you would like to read my blog'.
He could hardly remember me, but referred to some videos not even on my channel of us 4wding.
He instantly took the offensive assuming we were damaging national parks without any justification.

Although no problem came from this encounter, what would happen if he was a bit unhinged. I wonder what trouble he could have caused?

Even now, I've held back on my description of the above for fear of offending this person, or risking some kind of deformation when a big part of me would like to be more descriptive. This no doubt makes my blog posts more tame and more a representation of my 'public profile' not actually what I'm thinking or feeling.

I don't wish to have any public profile (hell, I certainly do not have a Facebook profile) the worst thing in the world would be to be recognised for the wrong reasons. I have no wish for others to directly connect with us 'follow' us but the other half of me, is that I want to share our adventure with as many like minded people possible.

I'm continually suspicious that people with ill intent could use this blog against us. I can't articulate how, but perhaps sighting illegal behaviour and using it to sue us? Stalkers tracking us down but most of all, I'm mindful that if someone Google's my name, I don't want them to turn up our blog. The first thing I do when approached by a new business contact is gather a bit of perspective on them, their work and their company. If some negative, or otherwise out of context information was to turn up when they query my name... that would put an end to the professional relationship before it started. Realistically, you can't change your name.

I remember hearing a quote that has struck a chord with me:  "Everything on the Internet is written in pen"
So to try and make this relevant:
-If I keep the blog how it is, it's like writing in a diary and lending it around.
-If I make this 'googleable' it's like writing it on a toilet door

I guess the only safeguard is if I keep our surnames fairly suppressed, that should reduce the likelihood of any dramas. Obviously I don't want to give 'keys to the burgulars' but I'm sure there would be enough information in here to track us down already.

Brett shared with me a little piece of literature that I wasn't aware of until recently.
"Everyone has a public life, a private life and a secret life". It's an interesting take, because I didn't really stop to think that people have secret lives. A secret life is the thoughts and feelings that you don't even share in your public life, almost the things you would never say or record.

I guess what I'm asking, is can I let public people, into our private life, whilst remaining anonymous? Is it possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.