Sunday, October 9, 2011

the lost post and chorus

After doing all the lame house work jobs, I looked forward to posting my post from last night and writing one from today… only to find the one I wrote and saved last night cannot be found.
I was writing them in the email application as a draft which I would send when I got home – only to find the drafts cupboard bare. I’ve even since tested what I did last night, and sure enough, when you hit save, it doesn’t do anything – gawdammit! It was such a good post too!

Ok, so I’ll try recreate it from memory. So I had found my way inside our camper at around 9PM – it was dark enough and cold enough to justify departing the outside conversation. I was dying to see the photos I’d taken in the afternoon. Consider it antisocial if you will, but I consider it perhaps too logical or practical to freeze my ass off when there is a perfectly nice comfy couch waiting in our nice dry and warm camper for me to perch on and skim through the day’s photos. The first obvious impression is that the insulated solar screens were working a treat. There was no radiating cold from the windows and now that it’s perfectly private, you don’t feel like your on display, lit up for the world to see. I was loving it. Our cosy little island in an otherwise uncertain world. It had rained on and off the hour or so en route to Wee Jasper so we were expecting to use the shelter more than we had to.

With the photographs, I was somewhat disappointed with how they were capturing throughout the day. They all seemed washed out and a bit blue. Even after a stint with the polarising filter, I was still underwhelmed. On a whim, I changed the white balance setting from automatic to ‘Cloudy 7000K’ well, the difference was staggering. Suddenly skin tones were no longer anaemic and grass was actually green. Here is a before and after shot, same scene, same time:

2011-10-08
Left: Automatic White Balance                                Right: Cloudy 7000K

We had pushed hard Saturday morning to get everything ready for the weekend. I’d prepared the bed and Cassie had finished stitching the mattresses. The bed is fixed in place using two ‘lift off’ hinges. This enables us to remove the bed and use it outside the car as a table, but also protects us from it coming crashing forward in the event of an accident (as it only slides off backwards)

Sometimes things just work out. I needed a ~25mm hole to fit the door catch. So I bought a 25mm spade bit and after sanding out the hole it fit perfect. A few days later, someone threw out a wardrobe hanging pole out on the front lawn. Initially annoyed at people littering our lawn, I resolved that this could be handy somehow. A day later, after using the hacksaw to cut into 350mm legs for the bed. In a final coincidence, the pole was a perfect 25mm wide, so the spade bit made create holes for the legs to sit in. All worked perfect…. its nice to win sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.