Thursday, September 1, 2011

Roof racks pt.2

A continuation from the previous discussion on roof racks. We went to see a set of three high roof bars in Palmerston tonight, but they were just too high - they looked a bit stupid. When we said nah and walked away, he said he had two bars and feet that are slightly smaller. We had a look, and they were perfect. We put them in place and think we can get away with just having two bars rather than three. So, $150 instead of $270 (or $303 for just the feet) if we bought them new - so we might have done alright. I'll give the roof a good clean on Friday night, and install the bars and rack on the weekend and hopefully should have some pictures to post.
Here are the ones I'm selling (why I've posted a picture of them I don't know, but I suspect it's because the post feels bare without some pictures)
These ones are nice aluminium ones, which I might like to retain, whereas the ones I got tonight are steel.

Weekend Photo Album is available here.

Over the weekend, the car had it's first good test. It went really well... amazing actually. It's so sure footed, has oodles of torque, and the low range gearbox is phenomenal. It's so low, that in 5th gear, the fastest you could go is about 50kph.
It's also surprising how narrow the torque band is, from 1900rpm, to maybe 2500 rpm. I actually just looked it up, it's 260NM between 2000 - 2500RPM, exactly how it feels. When you're only doing a few km/hr in steep terrain, if you find yourself in the wrong gear when you hit a hill, you nearly need to start again as you can't change down quick enough to maintain momentum. Probably three times I needed to stop and start again when I mis-estimated a grade. The car does make an odd sound which I have posted in a video below:
It may have always done it, but I've never driven up such steep terrain for such long periods. It's like a griding/scraping sound, only when it's loaded up at it's peak, 1st/2nd gear low range, 45 degree incline like this one:
To be honest, I'm really not that worried. I'm going to drop the oil out of the gearbox/trasfer this weekend as I thought it may be happening when on steep inclines as it drains to the back. But the funny thing is, Dave, a guy I work with, has a very similar sound occur when he takes off hard in normal driving. I suspect some kind of bearing may be at play, but it happens so rarely that I'm not too concerned.
You should be able to hear it in this video:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.