Thursday, August 25, 2011

Roof racks

So, found a pretty good deal on a local auction site. It's a rhino rack, super light weight and flat packs down. It had one other large advantage... that we can install the roof bars, then slide the rack on top. We had big worries how we would get the roof rack installed at the other end, so thankfully this allows us to take our time without risking damage to the car. The other reason these ones are cool, is they have a heap of accessories which will come in handy. Particularly the jack and tyre mounts pictured below.

But here comes the sad part. It was listed for $650 including the three bars. Considering to buy new would be $1300, I offered her $500, but we compromised on $550. Sounds great, we paid and she went inside, only to find that although every other measurment was great, the feet hight were too low to fit the high roof of the troopie. Damn you might say.
Well, a set of 3 new bars and feet cost $552. I'll call a local supplier tomorrow to see if they'll sell just the feet, or trade in my current set somehow, but I don't like my chances. The sad part is, they came of a 70 series land cruiser... so I assumed they would fit my 70 series land cruiser... but no, the SWB roof is lower than the troop carrier roof. DAMMIT. Even though I did some research, I still got it wrong.
I have found another local seller selling the correct legs for $270, but it still stings. I'm doubtful that I'll be able to recover $200 for my useless ones.

I had grand plans of having the car all set-up for the weekend and going camping, but I suspect it will be without the roof rack :-(
Weeks ago, I ordered the panel plugs to secure my new interior panels... they have not yet arrived from the USA. At the same time I ordered a nice 4 pole connector for the kitchen unit from QLD, that still hasn't arrived either! Ugh, something tells me I won't be taking that either!

I don't really know how to fix the kitchen unit to the car. It's designed to sit about 90mm out from the side to allow us to stash our window coverings down there. I can probably fix it at the back OK, and perhaps at the front, but it will be unsupported in the middle - I hope it works. I do have plans of installing a bike lock or similar around the fridge handle, and looping the other end around on of the pillars. The idea is threefold:
A) In the event of an accident, the most deadly, weighty bit, right at my head hight will be the fridge. The fridge handle is part of the enclosure and is plenty strong enough for this job. It will also be fixed at it's base, but these will shred out in an accident.
B) Provide some attempt at security. If people can't exactly walk off with the dearest bit of kit, this might just be enough to stop them. I can see this easily happening at docks where you need to leave the vehicle in the trust of someone who can easily go through it.
C) If it's an adjustable bike lock, I'll be able to make it pretty tight, which should reduce the side to side wobble momentum that could build up and cause the unit to break free of it's mounts. This may also serve to be the centre locating point that I wouldn't have as discussed above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.