Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hardware store rage

oh my. I print out a cut diagram to take to the hardware store. Thought this may reduce the chance of error.
Our first clue should have been that as we're waiting in line, the saw operator botches a cut by 100mm of the person in front - requiring it to be re done.
When it comes to cutting ours, he just got it wrong... maybe in 4 different cuts. I told him not to worry to save his pride in the hope that I could somehow salvage it.

I can use a jigsaw to get roughly the cut I'm after, but it won't look as good, or be as straight as using a table saw. The whole reason for having it done there - is to get a better result. but now I have:
-a door that has a 10mm gap at the side , and a 15mm gap at the top.
-a switch panel that doesn't fit the switches.
-a shelf that is 20mm shorter than the rest of the cabinet.

I'm not asking much. I would expect this result if I asked a bank teller to fix my car, or a lumberjack to sew on a button. But I ask a saw operator to operate a saw... what's so hard about that?! Is this behaviour typical of a perfectionist? or do I just want people to do their job!?  According to Wikipedia:
 Normal perfectionists "derive a very real sense of pleasure from the labours of a painstaking effort" while neurotic perfectionists are "unable to feel satisfaction because in their own eyes they never seem to do things [well] enough to warrant that feeling of satisfaction".


I don't have to get perfect results, but I do feel the results should match my expectations. When I get poor results through lack of personal skill, tools or the inconsiderate input of others, it annoys me to no end.

He was apologetic and didn't charge us for the cuts, but fundamentally, I'll need to get them done again to get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.