Monday, July 4, 2011

Auction Auction Auction

OK - I've found something I like. The below picture is not of the exact one, but it's sister. They both are ex-army ambulance troopies. This one had large depressions (not dents, depressions) in the bonnet, one of the side steps was smashed and seemed to be a little bit 'muddy' in parts of the engine bay and floor that were out of sight.

One advantage of the ambulance thing, is that the floor in the back is vinyl, but as Cassie pointed out, it means you don't know where the bolt holes are.
Yes - to keen eyes, you'll notice it doesn't have a bull-bar. Consider it this way; it's more expense to buy one after the purchase, but it does means I'll get to get the exact one I want.
The one that goes to auction on Thursday has 108,000KM, it's 2002.
It's sister that had 30,000KM sold for $27,500, so could I be bold enough to expect a max price of $22500? Ideally I don't want to pay more than $20,000 but it is rare to find one with these kind of KM's in this year. The one that sold last week had a bit more damage (this one has virtually none), so I'm preparing myself for disappointment. But hey, this is what the blog is about... documenting ups and downs.

Is now an appropriate time to bag out land rovers? Click on the picture above. Notice the additional piece of metal so the numberplate doesn't overhang. Oh, and all the pop-rivets.... it's a brand new car! oh well, whats wrong with a little harmless jabbing of land rover fanatics. And before anyone suspects I'm biased to Toyota's, I've never owned a Toyota 4x4, I've had a Nissan and a Mitsubishi, but please shoot me if I ever buy a land rover. They don't even deserve capital letters. Here's a two part video from a very experienced 4WD'er from South Africa. He has owned several land rovers, but he is now at home in a Land Cruiser.
So, moving right along. I've collected some more goodies since my last post (or maybe I forgot to document it)
Here is some 6 gauge wire, good for 125AMP 12V. I got 6 meters which is a bit too much, but better than too short. It will go from the axillary battery, to the distribution panel in the back of the car which I have talked about in a previous post. I got the seller to throw in some more terminals which will be handy.
I've never used these terminals, I'm not sure if they crimp on, get soldered on or what. I should do some research.
I also got a ball head for my tripod. One of the hesitations to using the tripod with the 'pan head' is that it's difficult to ever get the tripod level. Yes, it does have a spirit level, but it seriously takes 2-3 minutes to get it perfect. And on a nice big photograph with an obvious horizon, it's super obvious if it's not level. The ballhead allows you to just adjust to eye, lock and snap. The ballhead came with an identical quick release plate to my 'pan head', which means I can switch between video camera and still on either mount... nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.