Friday, June 17, 2011

Everything and the kitchen sink

This is really starting to look like a shopping blog - sure, I guess it will for a while, but once we're on the road, I'm sure we'll actually talk about the trip.
So the pile of cool stuff just keeps growing. I have been researching goodies on this caravan/camper website which has heaps of cool stuff. I wanted their email address to drive a bit of a bargain with how much stuff I was buying (hey, it costs nothing to ask!). They wouldn't budge an inch, but I was prepaid to pay $40 more for the pump to buy it from Australia as opposed to the UK. Well, would you believe this website's warehouse was in Queanbeyan! So, here is our sink:
 Notice the right angle 'waste' thing. The right angle one was 3 times the price, but I may end up needing one as the design comes together in reality.
Pretty cool eh! I even bought the plug. It's some kind of resin, so it's light, cheap and small! I wanted one with a washing up draining board, and this one fits our limited space requirements perfectly! The depth of the unit was the only dimension missing - what do you know... fits TO THE MILIMETER behind the facia - that was pure ass. Also just checked that the bowl will fit in the section I need it to... again perfect fluke.

The 20mm pipe was super stiff and there was no way it was going to fit over the barbed end. Ran some hot water through it, sure enough a few minutes later it went on, with still that reassuring resistance that tells you it's never accidental coming off.
The fine line on the ground is the water pipe after also being heat treated to get it out of the tightest curl I've ever seen. I'l let it cool straight overnight and hopefully it's more usable.
 It goes without saying this was the first thing to get played with. Stuffing the little 10mm barb connector with some pipe, we headed off to the sink and gave it a whirl. It's super fun, and the pressure cut-off makes me suspect I may not end up using the super cool blue momentary switch I talked about before, but rather just a toggle switch to override this so it doesn't wake us up in the middle of the night if the pressure drops a bit.
Here's the tap and water filter. The tap has three positions. Off, Momentary press down and up which locks it on. Very cool.

To add a bit of meat to this post as I was walking to the car with my arms full of gear, it occurred to me that this stuff only had one purpose. It was for our trip. Sounds ordinary, but I can't think of anything else we have that is purely for this trip! (Don't get me wrong, we will be using this gear for other trips around the place)
That feeling coupled with the though that this is going into a car we don't have that we'll be taking this gear around the world... and relying on it to work was overwhelming. It's like I almost don't believe it'll happen.
It brings to surface so many sinking feelings about the trip:
-Will we actually get there?
-Will I be able to leave work?
-I can't believe we won't have insurance
-Will we be able to do all the paperwork?
-Will we actually make it?!
-Will this exercise be the biggest waste of time money and emotion I've conceived this far?
The thoughts were running like a torrent through my head - and I must say, every one of them still feels as valid now as it did at 3PM today walking between the warehouse and the van.

It's getting far too cold to be on the computer typing (shivvvvveringgg...), so I'm off to bed. Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.