Saturday, February 5, 2011

Toys

OK - so I bought it.
It seems to be always the case that you only truly look into things, after you've bought it.
Satellite data/voice is soooooo expensive. It's not the actual airtime it's expensive, it's the ridiculous plans an loopholes that catch you out.
Airtime is typically around $2/Min for even the lowest prepaid plan. But then they hit you with the establishment fees, and the fact that your 75 minute allotment only is valid for one month. What a scam, these people should be hung. I think to be more specific, it's the usage pattern that I intend to use this for that is the problem. I'll probably only use five minutes of airtime over the next twelve months, but I do want it available for when I want to use it. There are a few options with various pros & cons.

Telstra NextG SIM
-Pay $30/Month for a normal NextG mobile SIM
-Can use the SIM in a normal mobile where you have NextG coverage
-Sat calls are expensive, like $5/Min but you get 30$ included.
-Doesn't work outside Australia (Apparently, I can imagine testing this in the UK before we leave, if it doesn't work, buy some expensive pre-paid)

Telstra Satellite Plans
-Pay 30/Month
-Can only use the SIM in the satphone
-24 Month commitment
-For some ridiculous reason, pay $25/Month for the ability to use data?!

AST Australia Pre-Paid Iridium
-$130 Establishment fee - for nothing
-$175, 1 Month expiry, 75 Minutes

Pivotel Australia Pre-Paid Iridium
-$200 Establishment fee
-$30/Month including $10/Calls

Ugh, I'm going to go down to the local Telstra store, get a sim just so I can play with my new toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.