Sunday, February 13, 2011

First post via sat phone

Fairly boring technical post, but this is a proof of concept - posting
via the sat phone using mailasail. ok... in truth, this post I'm going
to be forwarding on from our gmail because using a trial account from
mailasail, I can only email this address. For most of our posts when
we are truly in wilderness, this will be how they are submitted.
When testing this in Canberra, I had issues where the data connection
would stop transmitting after about 30 seconds. It's weird, because I
have had 5+ minute voice calls with not even a hint of disconnection.
I have the kind of sick mentality that says, perhaps if I try the same
thing in a slightly different place, on a different day, the results
may be different. This is certainly the definition of insanity, but
hey, at least I will be able to rule out some kind of atmospheric
condition or transient failure.
The attached picture is dad checking the signal strength in the driveway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.