Thursday, December 30, 2010

There is no way it can get any hotter

Oh my. words can not describe. We’re stopped in a caravan park (or dirt car park with toilet block) at William Creek. Temperatures are 38.7 at 7PM… 46.5 is the max. You would already know this as you’ve probably seen our spot message. Provided the car is running, the fridge has no problem keeping the 3 degree temperature, but within an hour it’s exhausted it’s dedicated battery. We’ll need to run the car for a bit tonight to get it back down to temperature.

We’re staying in William Creek because we got a puncture on the Oodnadatta track. We did everything right, kept speeds down, kept tyre pressures down (which is hard carrying a load) but got one anyway. And there is no surprises that it was the rear left tyre.

The Pub\Fuel Station\Tyre Repairer\Caravan Park operator will only repair the tyre in the dark because the tyre machine is broken and he has to do it by hand.

I’m sitting in what feels like a hay shed writing this blog – the heat radiating from the roof is intense – why the hell am I here. It’s one thing to be in an uncomfortable place for work, or purpose, but why did I choose to come here?!

IMG_8392IMG_8349

As I was lining up an ‘end of the tar’ photo, thinking we were all hardcore, a 40-50 year old guy on a pushbike rolled on past. Wow, we are really soft.

IMG_8339 IMG_8333 

IMG_8347  IMG_8360
We needed to re-inflate the punctured tyre so the jack would have enough reach to fit the spare on (I’ve made that mistake before)

 IMG_8362
There was no way to purchase tickets on the hover-bus, not sure how they can expect to be profitable without charging for the service. I am honest so I chose not to fly rather than flying for free.

IMG_8366
This was one of those – woah moments. 9m below sea level. Um. Well after 2 seconds I remembered that Lake Eyre is below sea level.

 IMG_8373 Coward Springs – Oh this was so good.

IMG_8382-1
I don’t think I’ve ever paid this much for fuel… this was a $95 fill up.

More tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. That pushy rider is my new hero

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iam exhausted just reading/looking at the photos! Iam sweating my balls off at 25 degrees in my house!!! Good luck with it all guys hope ur tyre gets fixed.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.