Sunday, June 20, 2010

Two Magadan Afternoon

Ok - I've taken this afternoon off work to get some concrete ideas about Two Magadan.

My Work

In order for most people to get 4 months off work, they just submit a form. Because I work for my own company, I need to make sure that the business will run flawlessly for the 4 month period while I am gone. I can arrange a bookeeper which is easy to make sure bills are paid, and invoicing gets done. I do however need three more people (and the workload to support them) to see that the company has enough people to cope with

A) me gone, and no work output from me

B) a person sick

We've just built a new website which will bring in more new work, and are intending to sell off some clients which should streamline our workload, and make training new staff easier.

'Mothball' the Pajero
An interesting thought occurred, cars cost money, and wear out when they are used - so why not just stop using it? I suspect it would save $5 grand a year just in fuel. Damage that is likely to occur will also be a thousand, tyres, clutch - the list goes on. So potentially I can save a minimum of $5000 per year (8-9ish grand from now) if I just stop using it. I'd imagine I'll keep it registered and insured $1000, but that will allow me to go on OCCASIONAL, low wear trips to Stockton beach, brindies and so on, but also take it to places as preparation (new tyres, servicing, test trips, fitting accessories etc). The hidden benefit is I would have to ride or walk to work which would get me fitter, and potentially in better condition for the trip.

Savings
It almost sounds stingy, but we need to get smart with our money - Sure I can rip money out of the company, but that is such short term thinking - the company IS my asset. We must be able to do this trip on just my wage.
So far I'm pretty confident that the trip will cost $35,000.
So far I've saved $11,000 towards this trip, and I estimate there is roughly 20-22 months to go, but lets budget on 20.
$20,000 / 20 means a grand a month. or $250/Week.

I've just played with the spreadsheet, and it could blow out to 40K, so should we budget for that?
I'm currently covering all of the household expenses. Mortgage, electricity, rates, food, entertainment.
Cassie is covering her schooling expenses which will exaust her savings by the end of her study.
Our household expenses are $300 a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we read every one.
Choose 'Name/URL' and just enter a name.